12.10.2008

Landscaping: On maintaining your lady garden

*Note: Dad, you may wanna skip this one. Warning: Potentially Definitely embarassing female and personal information about to be revealed! Seriously, skip it*

I got a request to write about, err, hairstyling for the bathing suit area. You know, trimming the hedges, grooming the hair-apparent, playing truth or nair? Its a delicate topic, but a relevant one. I mean, who wants to be concerned about their overgrowth on their honeymoon, or in their boudoir pictures? Pas Moi! Yes, pruning our pubicles is not only for the ladies anymore. There also seems to be a men's grooming movement... to which I say, its about time!
(source)

From trimming to shaping to full removal or au natural, there's just so many options available. I personally favor a semi-regular trim with some strong edging skills, alternated with a full mow every few months to get a clean slate and fresh start. But, um, that's just me.

There are a wide range of methods available to help tame our under-mane. The most popular (and painful) being waxing. Since waxing takes the hair out from the root, it definitely leaves you smoother for longer, but its not for the faint of heart of sensitive of skin. I've only been waxed once, but broke out into quite a rash of little bumpy zits/ingrown hairs and figured I'd rather be a bushwoman than have a case of lady acne. Not sexy. However, I have friends who swear by it. Perhaps they're thicker-skinned, or have smaller folicles, but for my delicate alabaster skin I prefer other methods. At $20-$50 per treatment, its also not the most budget friendly option available. My best advice is to get a trial run several months before the wedding, so you can gauge your skin's reaction and have time to recover if you, too, have bikini-breakout-itis.

(source)

My trimmer of choice is the personal trimmer, at a reasonable $8-11 depending on the brand. This little baby is inconspicuous, quiet, and effective. It works fast and takes the hair down to the skin, with quite a smooth result. It works best if you manually trim first (with scissors - be careful!) and then use this to smooth out the edges, asitwere. The safety guard is what I love best - no accidental skingrabbing here! And believe me, I've had many an electric razor give me a nasty gash. I love this one for travel, since its about the side of a highlighter, you can take it anywhere. I've used it for everything from some simple edging, to a full blown mow. With practice, you can even trim to custom lengths with this - so whether you're into a crewcut or the yul brenner, this baby can deliver.

I recently saw this online and I'm dying to try it out. First, who can deny a company called "Hair Care Down There"?!? I mean, c'mon! They had me at hello. HCDT has developed a line of gentle skin care solutions to help avoid irritation and create lasting smoothness. The 1-2-3 method focuses on shaping, soothing and smoothing - to avoid ingrown hairs and promote softness. You can buy many of their skincare products a la carte (prices range from $15-up), but their Ultimate Shaving Kit has quickly jumped to the top of my wishlist.


For $89 you get a sassy tote, jam packed with discreetly labeled products, including: a detailed shaving guide, razor, brush, comb, morror, scissors, clear shave gel, soothing moisturizer, anti-irritant spray, stencils, pencil and *gasp!* decorative bikini bindis! Its sounds like (dare I say it?) fun! This would also make a great gift, in a not-creepy best friend kind of way, right? I think my favorite thing is the testimonials on their site, on which many happy hubbies suggest using this as a kind of foreplay. Interesting.....

I personally stay away from hair removal creams, because I've heard horror stories of burns. Anyone out there a Nair advocate?

Now that we've covered removal techniques, let's take a moment to remember that even your lady-locks can be stylish. I've included this informative video which uses a simple outline and pieces of costruction paper to illustrate the many ways to style yourself. What's your favorite style?


I hope this has helped to demystify some of the tools and techniques available to help coif your cuttles (too far?), but I want to know what I'm missing. Anyone got a fave product, style, or technique they'd like to share?

*Update: I just got word that Duane Read carries special dye for your muffintop! I'd love to try that business out!*

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love that you'll go there! Not too many girls would, but it needs to happen!
And I'm thinking I need to get one of those wand thingies.
Thanks!

AmyJean {Relentless Bride®} said...

HaHA! I love the pics you associated with this post! Will have to try that Conair thing...I've done the waxing thing, but it gets quite costly. I tried laser once (need 7-8 sessions) and it worked, but never went back for more... but the hair care down there package seems reasonable and pretty thorough. I may have to go get me one :)

Anonymous said...

That post just made my day!

Tiffany said...

great post! i'm all about the tools, no waxing for me!

LyndsAU said...

this cracked me up! i have one of the trimmer things! But i don't use it down there :) In the summer I get waxed but not everything! WAY TO PAINFUL!!!

Krista said...

Hehe ... I like the chevrons!

I mostly shaved, and trimmed occassionally (and it was often a mess because I didn't realize those "wands" existed).

I just had my bikini waxed (the "French" in the videa) for the first time last week. I had tried it on my own probably 3 times over the last ... um ... 10 years. It never worked. Getting it done wasn't too bad. I had bumps for about 2 days after, but they went away.

My friend had bumps for weeks after getting waxed the first time (and it bled a little after the waxing). She went back to a different salon a couple years later, just to try it again. Apparently, it's mostly in technique. The waxologists (or whatever they're called) who have a good technique cause the least irritation and bumpiness.

I have also tried nair/veet. I would NOT recommend depilatories again. If you don't leave it on long enough (even by 1 minute), it doesn't get all the hair. If you leave it too long (even by 1 minute), it's really itchy.

mimi said...

i heard someone say "dorito chip or landing strip" the other day. thought that was kinda cute.

Erica said...

I've been waxed before with no issues, but it is expensive.

Anyone done laser removal?

Noxema makes GREAT little grooming razors with a built in comb. They're perfect for travel or little touch ups, even a trial before buying the trimmer.

Anonymous said...

Dana, you are a STAR!! I could just hug you. Thanks for posting this IGgy! I'm here on the sofa still wiping the laughter-tears from my eyes after watching that hilarious video. Lord, girl, you crack me up! Charlie Chaplain! Bwaaaaahaahahaha! What a hoot! I have taken notes now, and am glad that I hadn't consigned, YET AGAIN, to purchasing another depilatory ("maybe THIS one will work..."), since the consensus seems to be either a) they don't work at all or b) they work just fine if you don't mind an itchy rash and losing the top layer of skin--which pretty much sums up my limited experience with depilatories.
Thanks again, you dear, brave, wonderful soul!

Anonymous said...

NEVER use depilatory creams! I did and the hooror stories are true! My legs were burnt and blistered and it was so painful!
I hope your poor dad took your advice and didnt read the post lol

Amber said...

hilarious. i will definitely have to try myself a Chaplin this summer...

angie said...

Above you at SITS roll call, and what a day to stop by!

I love my Remington trimmer!

Anonymous said...

Ahahaha, I love the first graphic!

I have to say I'm a fan of whatever kind of maintenance people want to do down there, as long as the "grass on the green" isn't being sculpted into a heart or some other shape. That is just plain bizarre.
But dye? DYE? For real?

perfect bound said...

So funny! You may enjoy my recent post: http://perfectbound.blogspot.com/2008/11/bride-to-be-gift-guide-no-frills.html

I spent about $300 on lazer hair removal and it was worth every penny. I am going to be gifting my girlfriend with gift certificates for the same thing this holiday season. It's the only way to banish bumps and it works SO well. Seriously. A better value over waxing any day. Enjoy!

That Janie Girl said...

This is awesome!

nikkicrumpet said...

Ok...if I ever stop laughing about this one...I know I'm going to be in pain! My stomach muscles are going to hate you in the morning!

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

OH....girl I am still laughing at this one..That video was just too funny...hugs and smiles Gloria

Kathy said...

I have to say, you gave me my fun for the day!
:)Kathy

Post a Comment