11.03.2008

Google, that's just gross.

I received a few emails today from readers making me aware that a "Yes on 8" ad has been running on my site. Thank you for your concern and outspokenness... and for watching my back, yo!

I took a peek and it seems that the ad was running through my google adsense widget, which I have now completely removed and will reinstate once the election is over and these types of ads disappear from circulation (and we can all breathe a collective sigh of relief). For my fellow bloggers, I urge you to be aware of what ads google is running through your sites as well. I expect that I got hit with it after posting my emphatic stance against prop 8.

Suffice it to say, I still am 100%, no holds barred, guns a-blazin', balls to the wall, shout it to high heaven against Proposition 8.... and I hope you are too. But it doesn't matter if we don't vote, so please get in line early and stick it out to help keep the civil rights movement alive and protect our fellow Americans from the ills of discrimination.

For those of you in California, who may not understand Prop 8 or any of the other measures being proposed, my very sexy fiance has written a "cheat sheet" guide explaining the Propositions and giving his view of how they could best be approached. You can read it here.

And, while we're on the subject, if any of you gals is tempted to vote for McCain/Palin solely on the basis that voting for a woman is long overdue, please hear this. I totally get the desire to put a woman in the white house. It would be a dream come true. But, putting the right woman in the white house is what matters most. If we just pledge allegiance to the only candidate with a vagina, regardless of her competency or values, we risk everything. Because when she fails miserably, and she will, it will only solidify for all the rest of the world that we aren't ready for a woman leader. We must be patient, and wait for the right woman. Trust me.... this one ain't it. The time just isn't right. We'll have other chances and the right gal will come along in a future election, but we have to be patient. I mean, vote for McCain if you really love him (I respectfully disagree), but please do not vote for him based only on the gender of his running-mate. That's just silly.

Anywho, there you have it. Get out and vote tomorrow! Change is a'comin! Party time!

I don't know about you, but I sure could use a break from all this politics! Coming soon, a look into my bridal party, our wedding website, and some other wedding-y goodness :)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen sister. I could not agree with you more.

Brittany said...

I truly love reading your blog, and I absolutely will continue to read it and enjoy it but I do have to say one thing:

It's funny to me that you said this about Palin, when it's EXACTLY TO A "T" the way I feel about most African Americans voting for Obama simply because of his race.

I don't see the difference at all between women voting for Palin just because of gender or african american's voting for Obama because of race.

No hard feelings, just wanted to point that out. :)

Luis said...

I was so upset when those ads ended up on my blog that I got rid of Adsense altogether.

I'm a gay wedding blog for Pete's sake. The yes on 8 campaign has been sleazy and lowdown. They sent out a flier saying Obama wants you to vote yes on 8. I want to say such terrible and nasty things about them, but I'll hold my tongue on your comments section. Wish us luck!

Bad Kid Productions said...

@notquiteabride: Thanks for the lovely compliment and your continued readership. However, I have a few things to clear up regarding your statement.
1. Just as I do not endorse voting for a woman simply because of her gender, I also do not endorse voting for anyone based on the color of their skin.

2. the theory that "most african americans" are voting for Obama just because he's black is a disturbing assumption without any fact behind it. The black people I know are making informed decisions and voting for whom they feel is the best candidate. I have even spoken with african-americans who are voting for McCain because of their personal reasons.

3. You're right: there is no difference between voting for someone based on race or gender alone. I'm not sure why it was brought up as a response to my argument since it goes along with the original point I was making.

4. Sarah Palin is less supportive of women's rights than Barack Obama, which is one of the myriad reasons that he gets my vote. His policies are more inclusive and stand to benefit more americans, regardless of race or gender, than McCains. In fact, many of Palin's policies go against the women's movement, such as her requirement that rape victims pay for their own rape kit exams. Which goes back to my original point: Palin is not the woman to break down the barriers and show the world that women can be leaders, and we should wait for the right one.

@Luis: That is so crazy! I'm tempted to write google and express my disdain. I'm also so sick of the ads which use children and fear to manipulate. Good luck tomorrow, buddy, we're almost there :)

Luis said...

Ok, one more funny thing to think about:

If McCain and Palin win, and McCain dies (because seriously, he's no spring chicken) Palin takes over. Do you know who the next VP is?

Speaker of the house.

We would have the Sarah Palin and Nancy Pelosi White House, how wild would that be.

squaregirls said...

What's funny to me is that everyone has forgotten that Obama is half white! Not that his race should matter either way - as neither should his religion.
and a resounding, unequivocal - NO on 8!

Cate Subrosa said...

I loved the title of this post. Ha ha.

Great paragraph on Palin too. And your response to notquiteabride was exactly what I was going to say.

I hope everyone votes for the right reasons. Sadly, it won't be the case, but hopefully the right man will get in anyway!

beka said...

You know, we don't wait for a man until we find the right one. A lot of us (probably most of us) think George Bush has royally f'ed up in office, but we don't say "well, he screwed up, now we know-- men just can't be president."

You know, during the primary, that's what women said about Hillary. "It has to be the right woman." But Palin and Clinton are about as different as you can get, and we still don't think they're the "right woman." So what makes the right woman?

I've voted every year since I was elligible and I have never believed that I was voting for the right man. I voted for the best man out of the options. Why would I wait to vote for a woman until the "right woman" comes along?

beka said...

P.S. Luis' scenario = freaking hilarious!

AmyJean {Relentless Bride®} said...

Very well put!

Bad Kid Productions said...

@SquareGirls: You are so right.
@Luis: ...and hijinks ensue!
@Bekapaige: First off, I believe the right man has come along. But even if he weren't the best man, he still has more empathy and support for women than Palin. Sadly the woman in this race is the least feminist and supportive of women's rights out of the 3 other men running. So I choose to vote for a man who will have my back rather than a woman with questionable moral policy. She's the most "like Bush" of any of the candidates, and a vote for that sets us all back.

Bride in Exile said...

I am so with you on Palin. She terrifies me, mostly because her approach to governing is so close to Bush's (don't read newspapers, ignore reporters, isolate yourself within a small circle of loyal aides, don't think too hard about anything, assume your critics are mean and "out to get you"). It's not about holding female candidates to higher standards than we hold male candidates, it's about holding all candidates to the same standards. I really hope and dream that one day I will cast my vote for a female candidate for president or VP. But I wouldn't vote for a man with Palin's stance on the issues, so I'm sure as heck not voting for her.

@notquiteabride -- I think the assumption that African-Americans are voting for Obama over McCain "only" because of race is not one that the polling data bears out. In the past 16 years, African-Americans have voted overwhelmingly for Democratic presidential candidates even when both candidates were white.

Post a Comment