Purple mountain majesty above the fruited plains
One of my favorite parts of the trip was that we listened to every California (or Hollywood) themed song we owned (which was like 5), to get us pumped as we approached. And, oh ma ga, it never stopped! For months, every time we drove into Beverly Hills, Hunter sang the Weezer song! Thank god those days are gone, or possibly I would have throttled him by now :)
When we were brainstorming ideas for items to include in our fabulous Out-of-Town Bags, we thought it would be fun to make a special California themed mix-tape for our guests to enjoy. We've been keeping a record of songs that fit the bill, but our brains have dried up and our library is limited, and now we're stuck.
So I turn to you, dear readers: What are your favorite California, Los Angeles, or Hollywood themed songs of all time? From the uber-trendy, to ridiculously obscure, we need your help!




















23 comments:
Hey, I've been reading for a little while, but never commented before. I would second you all the way about Utah being the most unlikely, spectacular, out-of-this-world place ever!
And it's funny you mention Cali songs, I've posted about this right after we came back from our last trip to LA, because more than anything it's the songs I couldn't get out of my head...
http://marie-evelaforte.blogspot.com/2008/07/california-is-musical-state-of-mind.html
great idea. I made a 2 cd "set" of Cali songs a few years ago when we road-tripped from Vegas to LA. It definitely madet the trip. 3 of my faves: "California Stars" by Billy Bragg & Wilco; "Malibu" by Hole and "Ode to LA" The Raveonettes. have fun!
PS- Utah scenery is definitely tops. The Hoodoos at bryce canyon are AMAZING.
California Love TUPAC!!!
Live and Die in LA TUPAC!!!
Um... yea, that's all i got for now! :-/ I'll come back when my brain is actually working LOL
All I can think of is beach boys lots and lots of beach boys.
Oh no Amyjean you beat me to it! I was gonna say California love! Hmm in that case I will go with an old classic, how about Hotel California by the Eagles?
...Long-time reader, first time commenter....
Here are some ideas:
"Los Angeles, I'm Yours" and "California One Youth and Beauty Brigade" by the Decemberists
"Why You'd Want to Live Here" by Death Cab for Cutie
"California's Burning" by Augustana (a little dark but a really awesome song nonetheless.)
"California" by Phantom Planet (The O.C. theme song)
and some oldies...
"Ventura Highway" by America
And this is probably a silly question, but you have "California Girls" by the Beach Boys, right??
Hope that helps!!!
Oh, and I totally agree about Utah, it's gorgeous. But the cops are vicious!! My fiance got pulled over in Utah TWICE when we were taking a road trip to Denver.
What a freaking awesome idea! I thought of these two:
Sheryl Crow - All I Wanna Do
Death Cab for Cutie - Why You'd Want to Live Here
and then google pointed me to this amazing resource!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_about_Los_Angeles
Who sings that Song "California Dreamer"? or something like that. or is it "dreamer"?
I'm such a music loser!
..."on such a winter's day"? from the 60's sometime... I think.
Great Idea though, even if I wasn't much help!!!!
Hurray for Hollywood by Doris Day! I love it... fantastic idea!
California One/Youth and Beauty Brigade (The Decemberists)
California (Joni Mitchell)
California Waiting (Kings of Leon)
Going to California (Led Zeppelin)
California Sunset (Neil Young)
California Stars (Wilco & Billy Bragg on the Mermaid Avenue album)
Oh - Los Angeles I'm Yours (Also the Decemberists)
Frequent lurker, first time poster; I made a mix of Cali songs for my bf who lived in pA at the time, here are some suggestions: "California Dreaming" Mamas and the Papas, "Hollywood" Madonna, "California" Rufus Wainwright, "California" Joni Mitchell, "California Sun" The Ramones, "California Love" Tupac, "California Girls" Beach Boys, "California Here We come" I Love Lucy cast, "I love LA" Randy Newman, "California Nights" Leslie Gore, "Hooray for Hollywood", "Hollywood Swingers" (Disco song), "L.A. Woman" THe doors, to name a few...:) HTH!
so pretty!
i would say almost anything red hot chili peppers would be about cali :) great road trip stuff
Well, nice blog. I enjoyed reading it. It really feels good to know such thing. Thanks!
"Goin' Back to Cali" by LL Cool J!
there's so much more but off the top of my head...
los angeles - X
walking in LA - missing persons
free fallin' - tom petty(loads of la references)
eagles of death metal - wannaBe in LA
art brut - moving to LA
elliott smith - LA
You captured a beautiful picture!
Wow. That photo is unreal. I remember singing that in school but I've never actually seen a purple sky. Very cool.
Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and for your comment. Just curious, how did you find me? (If you remember, sometimes I don't remember how I found people.) As an elementary school music teacher and someone who truly believes in patriotism, I especially like your caption on the pic in this post. :) Have a good night. Kelly
tom waits: diamonds on my windshield
That picture first off is ga-ga-gorgeous! 2nd of all I love the idea of making a California themed CD for guests. So cute!!
There's a lovely artist in ATL that sings some wonderfully funny songs about LA. One of them is called So At Last. The artist is Butch Walker.
I know I'm probably late on this, but Butch = heaven.
Post a Comment