11.17.2008

Stealthy, Healthy Goodness

In light of our recently elevated poverty level, and our desire to get super-fine by 2009, Hunter and I have been inventing some new recipes that sneak lots of health into loads of flavor, without caked-on.  Experimenting with different vegetables and flavor combinations keep us from feeling bored or deprived, and gives the cooking process a boost of fun!  Today, I want to share 2 of which I'm particularly proud, with you!

Homemade Vegetable Bisque

A bunch (6 or so) tomatoes of varying sizes, cored and halved
a couple of handfuls of diced chinese eggplant
a couple of handfuls of diced zucchini
1 large diced onion
10 or so baby carrots
salt and pepper to taste
4 Tbs olive oil
a few sprigs fresh rosemary (optional)
a couple splashes of milk (or soymilk)

Preheat oven to 425.  Place tomatoes and carrots in roasting pan, and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper, and rosemary.  Place in oven to roast, for about an hour or until the tomatoes just start to brown and are really soft.

Meanwhile, sautee onions in remaining oil until translucent.  Add zucchini and eggplant, and sautee until tender.  Season to taste.

Working in batches, puree the tomato mixture (and pan drippings) with the sauteed vegetables until smooth.  Then run the liquid through a strainer to get out any seeds or stringy bits, and puree again.  Its up to you if you want to strain once more - but it does make a smoother soup.  Add enough milk to thin the soup to desired consistency, taste one last time for seasonings, and enjoy!  Serves 4.

This recipe is so easy and healthy while still being hearty and comforting!  Feel free to experiment with other vegetables, to your taste.  Let the farmers market be your playground :)

Chickpea salad

2 cans drained, rinsed chickpeas (or garbanzo beans)
Mayo to taste (preferably something low in saturated fat, like smart beat)
mustard to taste 
4 ribs celery, rinsed
a few slivers of sun-dried tomatoes, finely diced
chopped fresh tomatoes, squeezed to remove juice and seeds
wasabi paste (optional)
soy sauce (optional)
salt and pepper to taste

Pulse celery and 1.5 cans chickpeas in food processor until you reach desired consistency.  Remove from processor and dump into large bowl.  Gently fold in mayo, mustard, salt, pepper, soysauce, wasabi, remaining whole chickpeas and tomatoes.  Refrigerate and enjoy when cold.  

This dish is great in sandwiches, over lettuce, or on (my favorite) Ak Mak crackers.  The longer it sits and chills, the more the flavors marry, and the better it is!  High fiber, low fat, big on flavor, small on waistline!  You can vary this recipe as much as you like: try adding pico de gallo for a mexican twist, or whatever your favorite condiments may be!

I hope you enjoy these as much as we have been doing!  Its no exact science, so feel free to experiment with what you find and see what surprising culinary delights you can invent :)

What stealthy, healthy creations can you recommend?  

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi you! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and for your really sweet comments. I just adore your blog too!

These are a couple of great recipes. I totally agree with you that soups are one of the best ways to feel really satisfied while keeping total calories low. Last night I did a similar puree with kale that I'd sauteed with onions and some roasted garlic. Thin it down with milk and you're golden!

LA said...

Those both sound delicious!!! I think I'm seriously going to try the first one :) And I'm not a fan of chickpeas but they're good for you so I pretend I like them ;)
Great blog by the way!

heidzilla said...

LOL on the "get super fine by 2009" totally using that in my NYE resolution lingo! thanks for the blog comments, glad you posted so i can stalk/read you now too!!! linkage on my site :)

~heidzilla
www.heidzillas.com

Jessica @ Mason Jar Bride said...

Hey! Thanks so much for your encouraging comments on my blog! The vegetable bisque sounds sooooo yummy. I will definitely be trying that out soon and I'll let you know how it goes! And with such great recipes, I have no doubt you'll succeed in looking super fine by the wedding :)

Brooklyn Ree said...

thanks for the yummy recipe =) i'll be saving this for the day i start to cook.. probably some time after my wedding =) and thanks for the nice comment today!

Anonymous said...

wow...what a great recipe. I'd like to do for my future partner in life. lol! Gonna try it! Thanks!

Amanda said...

Wow, those do sound yummy! The only thing I've got is my Killer Shrimp knock-off recipe. I don't think it's really healthy seeing that it has cups of butter and all. We're working on healthy. ;)

Lindsey said...

Ooo yummy! Thanks for the new recipes, I can't wait to try them!

lynn whittenberg said...

the title of your blogg makes me think you really need help so here i am,i am a event planner you can visit my website and see what i am all about www.partyplans4u.com or you may check out my blog i've done weddings as low as 3600 and thats including my fee looking forward to hearing from you soon

Post a Comment