
(image source)
Tonight my best west-coast gal pal told me that she thinks the style of wedding videography that I most adore is narcissistic. It was kind of a shock to hear how dismissive and negative she was about something that clearly means the world to me.
According to wikipedia, "the terms narcissism and narcissist are often used as pejoratives, denoting vanity, conceit egotism or simple selfishness."
I suppose, in a way, weddings are a time of (innocent) narcissism - we spend months or years planning the party of our dreams, and spend more money than we ever imagined to bring it to life. Its a day celebrating our love. We all want to look perfect, feel perfect, and seem perfect on that day. If we're lucky, we are showered with love and support by friends and family who come to see us change our lives that day. And it goes by in a heartbeat. Wanting a video record of that moment is practical, if you ask me. Wanting a creative, moving masterpiece of a video is a matter of taste, I guess. But it doesn't make me selfish. It makes me, well.... me.
Sure, sometimes couples take it too far and get too wrapped up in the superficial, losing sight of the true meaning of the day. It happens. Hunter and I try very hard to avoid the pitfall of selfishness, going out of our way to plan thoughtful touches to make sure our guests feel included, taken care of, and appreciated as much as possible.
Maybe my friend was just having a bad day. Maybe she didn't realize how harsh it sounded. But, it wasn't the first time she's Debbie Downer-ed my wedding excitement. In the end, I don't even think its about me, or the video, really. I may never know, and as I write this, the more I realize it doesn't matter.
Its part of the process, I suppose. I have it very easy - future in-laws who aren't part of the planning process, and parents who are "we're happy if you're happy" types. It's part of the initiation to have naysayers rear their heads once in a while, right?
It makes me incredibly grateful to have this blog - where I can spill my thoughts, dreams and whims without judgment. And for you, my awesome readers. Thank you for your encouragement and support! You make my broke-ass happy.




















2 comments:
I am *so* glad I started blogging last year so that I was already doing so before I got engaged... I would have lost my mind already planning this wedding without my blog!
People use the words narcissistic, bi-polar and depressed far too frequently. Is she a mental health professional? Weddings are inherently selfish, but in a good way. You are planning a thoughtful and interesting celebration. Don't let it get to you!
Post a Comment