12.15.2008

Taking stock on a moody monday

I woke up this morning, late, to find it 45 and raining outside. In LA. This is unheard of, people! Normally, I'm quite excited when it rains here, but:

a) Hunter is out of town, due to the passing of his grandmother last friday (rest in peace, irene... may flights of angels sing thee to thy rest), so I woke up cold and alone for the 3rd day in a row. No bueno.

b) Dealing with Paco on a rainy day is like wrangling an insolent toddler. It takes forever to get him outside, and then even longer to get him to focus up and do his biznass... I guess the rain brings all kinds of new smells to the surface, and his wee nose is quite distractable. Without Hunter here, it was like being a single mom with a really ADD child this morning.

c) We live in the bottom floor of a duplex... which is a fancy way to say converted basement. Normally, I love our little bungalow in the hillside. But we don't have sufficient heat for days like this, due to the way the vents are organized. Its colllllld inside in the mornings, making it all the harder to greet the day without a case of the grouchies.

d) After an incredible Smart Chicks meeting last night, my mind was racing with to-do's and resolutions, revelations and self discoveries, and (natch) estrogen-y warmth. As a result, I did not make it to bed before 2:45am, and oh boy, can I feel it today.

e) I have finally come out of denial and suddenly really realize that I have *gasp* FIVE MONTHS until the wedding! Holy beejeezus, where did the time go? I have so much to do!

After New Years, I'm going into wedding hyperdrive. This means planning, but mostly it means spending money. That's what intimidates me the most. Its been so easy to plan and plan away without really dropping any major cash. But the "play money" phase is over and now we must get down to brass tacks and start spending like playaz. Eeeeep!

Some key items on the to-do list:
*operation fitness
*plan rehearsal dinner
*work with EAD to design invitations
*figure out groomswear/groomsmens wear
*find/book DJ
*find/book hair/makeup
*find/book night-of hotel room for ourselves
*figure out mini-moon.
*saris - for table covers
*lanterns - for the dining hall
*logistical planning of, oh, justabouteverything!

So that's where I am this freezing, drizzly Monday morning. Overwhelmed, overtired, and overstimulated! Phew.

Did you find yourself completely taken off guard by how soon your wedding is coming? How did you manage the time?

11 comments:

JennyLee said...

Lists Lists Lists. This really helped me keep things in order. Good luck!

AmyJean {Relentless Bride®} said...

I can totally related with your Paco issue. My little Shiba hates wet and has Doggy A.D.D. and can't focus on the task at hand. Also, mind racing...sometimes great ideas are great, but better left for the daytime... and not having H next to you must be hard, but hopefully he'll be home soon! hope your day improves... and 5 months, wowsers, but if anybody can... YOU can!!! :)

zoliepup said...

It was 38 degrees in my dining room when I woke up this morning if that makes you feel any better. 22 degrees outside... I live in a 100 year old home in Seattle (where it's not supposed to be this cold).

No rain this week, we've got snow!

Mary Michal said...

I must say, I've been very calm so far. I'm also getting married in May 2009. But it occurred to me the other day that I start working long days and even weekends at the end of January! And I'll keep up this schedule through April 15. I'm starting to go into panic mode now. I have list after list of stuff that I haven't done. Oh goodness, where does the time go?!

LyndsAU said...

Girl. I only had 6 1/2 months to plan my wedding. So I was in panic mode the whole time :) and thank God (seriously) for my mother. I couldn't have done it with out her! utilize the people you have around you that really will help!!

Bad Kid Productions said...

@Jenny.Lee: Lists are totally my Xanax, too. Helps so much!

@AmyJean: You're totally the broke-ass Cheerleader. I'm so thankful for you!

@Zoliepup: Holy. Crap.

@Mary Michal: That's the thing with me, too! I just started working full-time, and have a 6th day of work each week for my health insurance. 1 day a week is not enough time!

Bad Kid Productions said...

@LyndsAU: great advice, thanks. I suck at delegating, but this will be good practice!

Anonymous said...

I also have 5ish months to go. the FH and I do a little something every weekend. Like i made the ring pillow this weekend, the bird cage/card box thingie, and started knitting my shrug. The FH worked on the robot caketopper and looked for the wedding rings.
Lists really help! I kept forgetting stuff and wasted a lot of time going back and forth between craft stores.
My cousin is a hair stylist in LA if yr interested. She's doing my wedding hair and the MOH and BL hair too. Let me know if yr interested.

Unknown said...

oh dana, oh dana, if only you could be in Chicago where it is -14 below with the wind chill! also i am at the t-minus 3 weeks mark, so 5 months seems like a million years!

sorry didn't mean to be a debbie downer. you will pull it all out, gangsta style. i have no doubt

Bad Kid Productions said...

@Meghann: Would love her info, thanks!

@Blurg: Girl, I will be next week, and I'm nervous AND excited. But not as nervous and excited as you must be, 3 weeks out! Its gonna be *amazing!*

Amy said...

I feel you. The cold makes me cranky some days too. Mostly I love it... on Saturday when I don't work and I can cuddle up to my man and be warm.

If I lived not completely across the country.. and I mean that I live in NC. I would so do your makeup for you... for free. Seriously. It's what I do. And I would just do your makeup and you wouldn't even have to worry about it.

Post a Comment